Sunday 21 June 2009

Beautiful, functional, sustainable, innovative




Images from Robin Wood's blog - shamelessly borrowed.


Went to see Robin and Nicola Wood in Edale yesterday evening.  I've already blogged about Robin's bowls and spoons, but when I saw their new timber framed building I knew I had to write a quick post about it.

The proportions are beautiful and the quality of joints and woodworking is extraordinary.  This is a building that is functional, personal, quirky and has an organic quality that is so at odds with conventional modern building techniques.  It's been designed so that it can be dismantled and rebuilt if necessary as the joints are all pegged rather than nailed or screwed.

One fantastically clever feature is the little round porthole windows at the gable end, which are made from the glass from old washing machine doors.  How clever is that?

If you want to watch the building being made go and have a look at the YouTube video.  Whilst there, take a gander at Robin turning bowls and hand carving spoons.  Mike and I are on his spoon carving course for the next three days - greenwood carving is wonderful and Robin is a great tutor - can't recommend it highly enough.  Here's the link to course information on Robin's site.

2 comments:

Jude said...

Yes, it's great isn't it?
Hope you enjoy your course, I'm so jelous!!

Alison - Eco Eco said...

It was wonderful, Jude. Here's a link to Robin's blog about it (I was too busy concentrating to remember my camera for the first two days!) I'm the one in the blue top at the front right and hubby Mike is at my left. My efforts are in the fifth photo of work - or the third up, depending on which way you count. Sadly my kuksa split so I'm not sure I'm going to do much more work on it.

If you're in the UK you should definitely sign up for one of Robin's courses.

Post a Comment