Saturday 21 February 2009

Decorating with natural paints




Things are moving on in our new clothes shop.  The seagrass matting is being fitted again today (after a slight delay) so we are on schedule to move in next week.  There's still lots to do, including finding that new desk and installing the racks and rails, but hopefully we'll be ready to open the following Tuesday, 3rd March. 

Most of the painting has been done using Earthborn paints but there is still some to be touched up.  I'm currently debating what colour to paint my office upstairs.  It's south-facing, overlooking Hope churchyard, so has fantastic light and could therefore take quite a strong colour.  Or do I opt for something light and fresh?  I shall wait for a few weeks to see the new range of Earthborn Claypaint colours I think, and also choose some photos or art for the walls to guide me.  Alternatively I'll use some Auro emulsion and their colour concentrates to make the exact colour I want.  I've always been happy to mix paint shades, having worked for a while creating decorative paint finishes on walls and furniture, but there are risks; you need to mix enough to complete the job and you can end up with a colour you hate but with no way back.  My advantage is that I can just wander round the corner to our Eco Eco Home shop to select what I want on the day!

The paints are wonderful to use - no odours - and the Claypaint has a fantastic ultra-matt finish.  It's like painting with liquid slip.  It also covers brilliantly.  The ProAqua eggshell is extraordinary, drying to the touch in about 10 minutes depending upon how heavily you apply it.  It's re-coatable in two hours which means all the woodwork can be given three coats in a single day if necessary.  It's also odour-free.  Obviously both the Earthborn and Auro paints are eco-friendly and non-toxic, like everything we choose for our shops.  

Perhaps when we've finished these new premises we'll finally get around to decorating at home.  It looks a bit sorry at the moment as we've been so busy with the business that our house hasn't been receiving the attention it deserves.  Come the spring there's lots to be done, including a new fireplace and a new porch.  There will be plenty of opportunities to use the natural paints there too.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment